Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bonnie Blue Comes Home

Once a Jeep Guy, always a Jeep Guy. Before I could even drive, I'd go four-wheeling with my brother and his friends in their Jeeps. I loved how they could take such a beating, and that getting a few "battle scars" just added character. My first Jeep was a 1994 Wrangler. I took it from stock to rock crawler. Still regret getting rid of that one. For the past couple of years, I've been driving a 2000 TJ (Sahara Edition). It's a little nicer than what I usually go for, but the wife-type-creature (Emily, who inputs all this for me, because I type really really slow) loves luxury things like doors and air conditioning, so ya gotta compromise.

But, all this time I've really wanted to get my teeth into a restoration. Bringing an old Jeep back from the dead. I finally got my chance, in a field in Stony Creek, near Elizabethton, TN. This is where I met Bonnie Blue, the 1961 Willys Jeep.


She's a 1961 CJ5 Willys, owned by the same family in Stony Creek since she was new. The original owner drove it until he was 92. Everything on it is original. Never been taken apart. She was kept under a shelter most of her life. In pretty good shape, but the reason the gentleman quit driving at 92 was the part where Bonnie got to take a slide in a ditch. She got parked after that, and also got a good crunch to her passenger side. She's been sitting since 2000. Now, she's living in climate controlled comfort in our garage. She's made it smell like old car, which is the best smell in the world. Thankfully, my wife agrees!


Notice the original painted Leach Motor Company logo. I'm going to try to keep it in the restoration, as it was the Jeep dealership in Johnson City TN from the mid-1950's until the 1980's when Jeep/AMC was bought by Chrysler, at which time it closed. 


So, she got towed to the garage, because of the small problem of not having the gas tank hooked up yet. It does run, but the tires are rotten, and the tank at the time was a gallon milk jug. Didn't quite seem DOT legal.  I've started doing some restoration on her, and wanted to keep a good log of it. Thought fellow Jeep fanatics might want to join in on the chaos that is bringing a Jeep back to life. 




1 comment:

  1. Think you should give bonnie an early retirement.....and let it enjoy the jeep heaven its about time. Jeep bumpers

    ReplyDelete